The future of Somerset’s Libraries Service was decided by the County Council’s Cabinet on 5 November:
- 19 existing library buildings are to continue to be funded and managed by Somerset County Council.
- For 13 of the remaining 15 library buildings, Community Library Partnerships are being planned with library buildings set to remain open in these communities until 31 March 2019 whilst work progresses to develop Community Library Partnerships with the aim of keeping library buildings open into the future. If these cannot be reached, library buildings will close, and mobile/outreach services put in place as set out in November’s Cabinet report.
- For two libraries – Highbridge and Sunningdale (Yeovil), no expression of interest was received for a Community Library Partnership and therefore these libraries will close on the 29th December 2018. Outreach services will be provided from February 2019 for these communities. (See ‘Outreach Services’ on the right for more information.
Below is a map showing which library buildings are to remain the same and which will change. If you click on a library pin, a summary of the recommendations for that library will pop-up.
To the right you can view more information about Community Library Partnerships, the detailed libraries redesign decision and the evidence on which it was based.
If you have any questions about the changes, please:
- email: email@example.com
- or write to: Libraries Service, B3S, County Hall, Taunton, TA1 4DY
- or contact Somerset Direct on 0300 123 2224.